The mission of the West County College Access Network is to secure college access and success for all West Contra Costa Unified School District students.
The West County College Access Network was founded in 2011 as an initiative of the West Contra Costa Public Education Fund (The Ed. Fund). The WCCAN is a collaborative of over 25 public, private and government agencies focused on increasing college access and providing resources to students and families in the West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD). The WCCAN Directory was created to map the college access providers in WCCUSD. Each organization profile contains the organization’s contact information and mission, a description of services offered, and an overview of the students served by the programs. It is the WCCAN’s hope that community members will use the directory to refer WCCUSD students to the appropriate service providers.
The key strategies of the WCCAN are as follows:
- Create and align services that effectively equip students and families with the necessary resources to ensure college access and success
- Align community-based organization services with WCCUSD to improve student outcomes
- To enhance the capacity of our member nonprofit organization to better support students and their families in higher education
West County College Access Network meetings are held on the first Tuesday of every month from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM at the Richmond Community Foundation board room (1014 Florida Ave, Richmond).
WCCAN Member Directory (Volume 1, Edition 3: March 2012)
The Ed. Fund has compiled a member directory of all current members of the collaborative. This directory is updated regularly, and print versions will be available every six months. The current edition contains WCCAN member profiles as well as the WCCUSD needs assessment, a tool the WCCAN used to create a summary of services being provided at every high school and the services each high school still needs.
Getting Ready for College Conference - Fall 2012
Thank you to everyone that participated in the Getting Ready for College Conference on November 10th at Contra Costa College. One hundred seventy seven students, 151 parents and 70 volunteers attended the event. In total we had 398 people check-in for the conference. We are happy to provide you with electronic versions of the handouts from the conference:
- Opening Address (English/Spanish)
- Parent Presentation (English)
- Parent Presentation (Spanish)
- Brag Sheet for College Applicants (English)
- 10 Things to Do, Presented by College Board (Spanish)
- Guide to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act Application (English)
- College Grants and Scholarships Resource Guide (English)
- West County College Access Network Mini-Directory (English)